In this post, I will show you in 1 min How to Merge Cells In Google Sheets.
In some scenarios, we have to merge cells in google sheets and combine these together to make one cell. These could be either merging cells in rows or columns or both.
Merge cells in Google Sheets is a good way to keep our google sheets organized and understandable.
How to Merge Cells In Google Sheets
1. Open a Google Sheets in a browser.
2. Select two or more cells that you want to merge.
3. Click “Format” in the menu bar.
4. In the drop-down menu, click “Merge,” and then click the kind of cell merge you want – Merge Horizontally, Merge Vertically, or Merge All. Depending upon the cells you selected, you may not have all these options.
- How to Merge Cells In Google Sheets All: Merges all the cells into one cell that spans the entirety of the selection, horizontally and vertically.
- How to Merge Cells In Google Sheets Horizontally: Merges the selected cells into a row of the selected cells.
- How to Merge Cells In Google Sheets Vertically: Merges the selected cells into a column of the selected cells.
google-sheets merge cells shortcut Another way to merge options is thorough the toolbar on google sheets. When we click the ‘Merge cells’ icon, it will merge the cells. And if we click on the drop-down icon it will show other options as merge horizontally or vertically
Note: When we merge cells that already have some content in the cell, the final merge cell will only retain the content of the top-left most cell. The rest of the content will be lost.
How to Unmerge Cells In Google Sheets
If we no longer want our cells to be merged, we can unmerge them easily.
- First, we have to select the cells that we want to unmerge.
- we should left-click on the Format tab and choose Merge Cells from the drop-down menu, or click on the Merge button in your toolbar.
- There we see the Unmerge option. Click on it, all the selected cells will be unmerged.
You can also merge cells in google sheets using google apps script programmatically. If you want to know the power of Google apps script you can read this.
How To Merge Cells In Google Sheets Without Losing Data
We can avoid losing data in the process, but it requires to get a Google Sheets add-on. If you’re interested, keep reading this article.